Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Happy Merdeka, Malaysia!

My country celebrates its 54th year of independence today. I'm happy (duh) because if independence wasn't attained fifty-four years ago, Malaysia will still very much be under some foreign rule. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing because I truly believe that when the British colony came decades ago, they did contribute a lot to the development of this land. But everyone needs independence eventually, especially when we have proven ourselves capable of taking care of our own country. And I do think the pioneers of a newly independent Malaysia have done well.

I'll be forever thankful to God for making me a citizen of this wonderful land. I confess, life has always been easier for me because I'm fortunate to be born in a post-war and post-independence Malaysia. The Malaysia I know has always been considerably peaceful, and it's easy to take that for granted. Malaysia is the place where you get the most awesome iced Milo (my personal guilty indulgence I took for granted until my family went to Australia for vacation) and have people who actually appreciate durians. Malaysia is where you can deliberately speak broken English and not be looked down upon, most of the time. Heck, to have a Malaysian who has the ability to speak four or five languages and dialects -- but to speak them all brokenly -- that's pretty usual.

This nation has come a long way since it first gained independence, and though it still has a long way more to go, I'm very proud of my homeland -- its beauty, warts and all. So here's to the future of the country that I am very proud of and love so much!
Me, Jess and my mum: The proud countrywomen.
P.S. This year's Merdeka Day coincides with Hari Raya Aidilfitri. So Selamat Hari Raya to all my Muslim friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment